Garden at Number 53, Broad Street, Alresford, Hampshire, SO24 9AN
A hidden part of our local history, this Grade 2 listed bridge and pond were created by Godfrey de Lucy, Bishop of Winchester (1189-1204), as part of a scheme to make the River Itchen navigable from its source at Bramdean to Winchester and Southampton.
Alresford Pond, which originally covered 200 acres, acted as a reservoir for the collection of water of several local streams to be channelled through the River Aire to the River Itchen.
Alresford Bridge was constructed c1190 and comprises a single gothic arch of cut stone voussoirs, which remains visible on the downstream (north west) side. Underneath the arch at water level are rectangular recesses, which may have supported a timber framework during the construction of the bridge. The arch is flanked by two stepped stone buttresses, of which the easternmost in encased within the wall supporting the neighbouring patio. During the 17th century a brick parapet was added on the downstream side, topped by copings, which are possibly reused 12th century stones. The upstream face of the bridge was modified in 1881, when a red brick arch and parapet were added.
Saturday 14 September: 1100-1600
Sunday 15 September: 1100-1600
Suitable footwear essential as there could be muddy paths, slopes and steep steps.
Allow around 30 minutes for your visit. Children must be accompanied by an adult, and dogs need to be a lead.