The Pilgrims' Hall, adjacent to Pilgrims School, 3 The Close, Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 9LT
Follow in the footsteps of pilgrims by viewing a restored medieval hall dating from the first half of the 14th century. This is where pilgrims visiting the shrine of St Swithun of Winchester would have been offered hospitality.
In the early Middle Ages and until 1539, the Cathedral church of Winchester formed part of St Swithun’s Priory. Inside were a number of relics and the shrine of St Swithun of Winchester (d.862) which attracted many devout pilgrims. The Pilgrims’ Hall is where these pilgrims were offered hospitality.
The most outstanding feature of the Hall is the ‘hammer-beam’ roof trusses, a method of construction whereby the weight of the clay-tile roof and oak beams is transferred through the walls. There are 4 hammer-beams – thought to be the oldest existing examples in the world.
● Sunday 16 September: 1100-1600
No booking required.
Self-guided tours take around 20 minutes.
Located next to The Pilgrims’ School in the Cathedral Close.